Monday, September 01, 2014

Exponents Interactive Notebook Page


     I have a quick Interactive Notebook post today on exponents. After all, it is Labor Day and I am looking forward to just relaxing. I don't know why short weeks at school always seem longer than regular weeks. Why is that?
    

     The top section of the right page is from math = love. I love the exponent and how you can pull it out to see the expanded form.


     I have decided this year to show the reasons behind many of our rules. We are also stressing the problem solving strategy, looking for a pattern. This page show why any number to the zero power is equal to one. Click here for Zero power graphic organizerI didn't want to hide this behind a door of a foldable, I want the students see it every time they open their notebooks to this section. So many of my kids still think it should be zero. UGH!



     The student practice page has students going back and forth between the different forms of the numbers. I am stressing that these are all different forms of the same value. See my post on teaching number sense to my students. Click here for a copy of the exponent practice sheet.  I am already having my students memorize their square numbers. so I have several on the work page. Sorry about the quality of the picture. I will try to replace it later.
     Good luck to all of you who are just starting school tomorrow. Hoping everyone has a wonderful year.
Til next time,
Jan

4 comments:

  1. Love how you have this set up! Your example on the right for powers of 10 should say divided by 10 rather than divided by 3 down the right. When you are working backwards that way to show why the - and 0 power rules are what they are, you divide by whatever the base is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany,
      I did the original worksheet at midnight last night. So much for my proofreading at that time of the day or night!.Thanks for pointing it out. The corrected sheets are on the post now:)

      Delete
  2. I love that way of showing why something to the zero power is 1! I usually show it by dividing powers with the same base and subtracting exponents. I'll have to incorporate this way. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mickie,
    One of the goals I have for this year is to stress patterns and that there are multiple ways to solve problems. When we get to division, I will show that way as well. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...